Monday 2 March 2015

Pattern Testing for Indie Designers

I've read a lot of conflicting views about testing for indie designers.

One camp is quite vocal about their thoughts that it is invariably 100% "Wrong" for a designer to have people test their patterns for them without pay.  That those who willingly use their own time, money, fabric, notions, etc to make up a pattern that isn't fully ready to be released are "fools".

But while I can definitely see that point of view if we were talking about a larger company where there was ample amounts of money available to pay their testers, or to at least provide the fabric and notions, it is unlikely that an indie designer - many of whom are stay-at-home moms just trying to make a few extra dollars for their family while doing something they love - would have that kind of money.

I'm not an expert seamstress.  I'm almost completely self-taught.  I have limited funds available to use on testing patterns that may or may not work out.

So, I was extremely hesitant to put myself out there to any designers and offer to test.

But I opted to try it out a few weeks ago for one.  I kind of felt like I got in over my head, but I got the dress done, and I can only HOPE that my feedback was well received.

And then I offered myself up again for another, and since I knew more what to expect, I felt much more confident in taking that project on.

Was I certain it would work out ?  No, of course not.  But it was a chance I was willing to take.
Was the item perfect ?  Again - of course not.  It was being TESTED.

Did I get paid ?  No.  I got the pattern for free, and a second pattern for free.  In the PDF pattern world, that is equivalent to between $10 and $24.

Would I do it again ?  Yes.

I guess I am a fool.

But I am a fool with a soft heart who like to help others, and if I can help the designer, and help myself by getting extra practice and maybe sew something I wouldn't normally

No comments:

Post a Comment