Monday 16 February 2015

Sewing for boys

Sewing for boys is much more difficult than sewing for young girls is.
Mainly because the amount of boy-ish fabric and boy-ish patterns is very limited.

But, one of my favourite designers has a couple of boy patterns out.

And a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across a wonderful orange knit fabric with black peace signs on it that I just KNEW my 12-yr old would love.

But orange peace-fabric is a little over-whelming alone, so I couldn't make anything until I found a contrasting fabric to use with it.

Without luck, regardless of several trips to Fabricland, I finally convinced my husband to give up one of his old black work T-shirts, and got sewing.

I made the Moto Maxx shirt by Love Notions Patterns which is a cool shirt with a few different options.  You can make it with short, long or layered sleeves, along with cuffed or hemmed options.
The shirt hem can be straight or curved too.  And it's available in sizes 2T through 14.

For my 12-yr old son, I made the size 14.
I had to shorten the torso by 4" and the sleeves by 1"

 

In short, this is a shirt I will definitely make more of, and soon !

No comments:

Post a Comment