Monday 16 February 2015

My introduction to testing a new patterns

About 2 weeks ago, I answered the call for testers for a new pattern add-on.
I thought that by testing an add-on to an established pattern, I wouldn't be risking too much.

So, when Annemieke from Sofilantjes Patterns put out a call for testers to try out a new circle skirt add-on to her Iridis wrap dress, AND she was looking for bigger girls sizes, I thought I'd toss my name in the basket.

I was admittedly a little surprised when she contacted me that I'd been chosen.

And so it started !

First came a special group on Facebook for just us testers.
That was kind of cool, and it was nice to chat with the other testers.

Then came the pattern and instructions.

And then the printing !  Oh my, the printing !

Here is the bodice - not too bad at 13 pages.


And here is the skirt !
Yes, that is 57 pages printed and taped together to make the skirt.


To say I was a little overwhelmed by now would be an understatement, but I was not going to give up, or let this pattern get the better of me.

My Bug and I went to our local Fabricland and picked out some broadcloth that was 50% off.
She chose a few earthy colours, very different from her normal pinks and purples, and we took them home.

It was too long, and I had the pieces cut out, and the dress put together - the instructions were pretty straight forward, and while the pieces were huge, they went together quite well.

At the end of the first day, I had the dress put together - it still needed to be hemmed and the binding put on the top for the ties.



The finishing was wonderful - I'd never done a rolled hem on a woven material before, but this is what was called for.  I must say that I LOVED the way the rolled hem turned out !  Easy, fast, and cute.

And I used store-bought packed bias tape for the binding and ties, so that went on quickly.

The actual dress is lovely.  I love the length on my daughter.  She is 55" tall at 10-yrs old, and the dress is low on her knees.  The neckline is high enough to be modest on the bodice.  The only minor complaint my daughter had is that the arms are a wee bit tight.

Finished dress




1 comment:

  1. This is a really cute dress! But ya, wow - lots of printing!

    ReplyDelete