Sunday 8 November 2015

October's sewing

October saw a good amount of sewing being done in my home !
It feels so good to be back to it.

I even did some sewing for myself.  As much as I hate sewing for me - the sheer size of the patterns and amount of material is a huge heart-sink to see when I do.  But the finished products often look nicer on me than anything I could have purchased.

Exhibits A & B - "Laundry Day Tee" from Love Notions Patterns, both in a size 2X
I made them in the tunic length, with a "V" neck style.  Very comfortable, and so cute with yoga pants or leggings.  I might even wear them over jeans.  I truly love this shirt.

Now, looking at the shirts on - I know I need to make some adjustments - either a full-bust adjustment (odd to think of that, with being a barely-B cup!), and / or some kind of adjustment to deal with my abundance of upper arm girth.

 

Exhibit C : Peg Leg leggings - from Patterns by Pirates.

Not a favourite, but at least they are sized for me, and go on and stay up.  Needs tweaking, but I'm not sure yet exactly what I need to do to make them more comfortable.
- a higher waist band for sure.
- maybe add a gusset in the crotch area ?



Then it was back to sewing for my kids !
My younger son (8) needed a light-weight jacket for the fall weather we are having here.
So - I printed out a pattern called the "Samson Sweater" from Love Notions Patterns in a size 10.
His measurements placed him at the size 8, but I wanted it a bit bigger so he could wear it longer, hopefully into the spring.

I picked a mid-weight stretchy black fabric of unknown content for the outer layer - the fabric came from MY mom's stash, so I know nothing about it.
I paired that with a pirate-print jersey knit for the lining and patches, and some red rib knit for the trim.
Black buttons rounded out the notions and this was my end project !


 


Well  -  doesn't my older son see younger son's jacket and declare how much HE loves it !
Back to the printer, this time to print out a size 14.
I absolutely LOVE that I can print out just the size(s) I need for all of the Love Notions Patterns. Makes it so much easier, and there is no risk of cutting the wrong size, or cutting off a size I'll need in the future!

For older son - a striped cotton / rayon knit that is quite thick for the outside, paired with some lightweight black jersey for the inside.

I added a draw string to the hood, and a zipper.  I left off the rib-knit trim, along most of the jacket.
And I lengthened the cuffs and added the ever-popular thumb holes for him !

It is NOT perfect - that zipper top makes me cringe.  But he loves it, so it was a hit !

 


After this, I realized that I had some pirate jersey left and I just LOVED it - I couldn't let it go to waste.

But I didn't have enough for a shirt or anything like that for any of my own kids, so my friend's little girl who is just shy of 3 years old was the lucky recipient of a Pirate-print and red Miss Mary Mack tunic and matching leggings.  Again - both parts are from Love Notions Patterns.

The leggings pattern is even FREE !




Now, to prove to everyone that I am NOT actually employed by Love Notions, and I *DO* sew outside of just their patterns - a lovely top for my daughter.  This one is a Simplicity Pattern. #2689

I used a floral crinkle cotton, and cut the tunic length in a size 10.  No alterations at all, and it came together quite quickly. 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment